Saturday, 3 May 2008

The Checklist Every Landlord Needs

One of the most taxing activities tenants and landlords must do is to conduct the moving in and moving out inspection of the property. The moving in “grand tour” of the property is done primarily so both parties would be aware of the present condition of the unit. This way, the new tenant would know how he should leave the unit at the end of his lease period.

This same grand tour is conducted just before the tenant hands in his keys and moves out permanently. If the moving in tour was done for the benefit of the tenant, the moving out round is more for the landlord. This activity is done to show the landlord that unit’s condition is the same as when the tenant moved in (save probably for a few minor damages due to regular wear and tear).

When this moving in and moving out tour is done, the tenant and the landlord both hold a document which itemizes all the important parts and fixtures of the unit or house. As they go through each and every nook and cranny of the house, they both tick what condition these items are in. This document is called the move in/move out form.

A move in / move out form is something that anyone can make. There is no need to consult with a real estate agent or with a lawyer because this is simply a checklist of all the fixtures in the house. You also only need one set of these, as the form you used during the move in inspection, is the same one that will be used when the move out inspection is done.

If you don’t want to prepare a move in / move out form, or would want to just follow a standard format, you can purchase and download this form from the internet. There are several real-estate related sites that provide users with various real estate forms and these can be downloaded by piece or by bulk or set, depending on the needs of the user.

This is article is brought to you by Gloria Smith at